Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

"He played with the idea and grew wilful; tossed it into the air and transformed it; let it escape and recaptured it; made it irridescent with fancy, and winged it with paradox."

"I want to make Romeo jealous. I want the dead lovers of the world to hear our laughter , and grow sad. I want a breath of our passion to stir their dust into consciousness, to wake their ashes into pain. My God, Harry, how I worship her!"

"The girl laughed again. The joy of a caged bird was in her voice. Her eyes caught the melody and echoed it in radiance: then closed for a moment, as though to hide their secret. When they opened, the mist of a dream had passed across them."

"You became to me the visible incarnation of that unseen ideal whose memory haunts us artists like an exquisite dream."

No comments:

Post a Comment